Caramelized Brussels Sprouts with Pancetta Thanksgiving Side Recipe
Thanksgiving is nearly upon us. Be a hero with this delicious side dish when you gather with friends and family 'round the table to give thanks.
Pancetta is our choice for this dish, but feel free to sub out bacon or prosciutto. The important part is that you leave the fat to get the brussels sprouts started, before adding in the shallots, garlic, previously-cooked pancetta, lemon juice, and salt & pepper. That's when the party really starts!
Recipe Notes: Serves 4. Paleo-friendly. Whole30-compliant.
Prep Time: 10 min / Cook Time: 20 min / Total Time: 30 min
CARAMELIZED BRUSSELS SPROUTS WITH PANCETTA
- 1 ½ lbs brussel sprouts
- 2 cups pancetta, cut into small cubes
- 2 shallots, sliced thin
- 3 heads garlic, shaved
- Juice of one lemon
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil then blanch brussels for four minutes.
- Strain brussels and pat dry then slice in half lengthwise.
- Heat very large saute pan on medium and add pancetta. Cook, stirring often, until fat has rendered and pancetta is browned then remove from pan leaving the fat.
- Increase heat to medium high and add brussels to pan cut side down. Season with salt and pepper and cook for five minutes or until they are well browned.
- Add shallot and garlic and continue to cook stirring often until fragrant, about three minutes.
- Add pancetta back to pan and lemon juice then toss to coat.
- Serve immediately in a large bowl.