Keto in 2022: Is It Still Worth It?
SPECIAL NOTE: As always, please consult with a medical professional before taking on a diet or food choice; we aren’t medical professionals here, just real people who enjoy real food.
The Ketogenic Diet took the world by storm a few years back. Nowadays, every restaurant has a keto option on the menu, and grocery stores are filled to the rafters with low-carb goodies like Almond flour and sugar-free BBQ sauce. But with popularity, comes gimmicks. Though the ketogenic diet has helped millions of people lose weight, it’s also produced a lot of misinformation, fad diet plans, and gurus looking to take your money to show you how to do “keto the right way”.
The real question is: Is Keto even worth doing in 2022 (and why or why not)?
What is The Keto Diet?
On the off chance you’ve clicked on this article and aren’t 100% sure what the keto diet is, here’s a quick rundown:
Simply put, the keto or the ketogenic diet is a low-carb, moderate protein, higher-fat diet that can help you burn fat more effectively. In addition to the weight loss benefits of the ketogenic diet, there have also been many studies that suggest the keto diet helps combat inflammation, increase athletic performance, and improve general health overall.
The not-so-well-kept secret of seeing results on the keto is to achieve and maintain the metabolic state of ketosis. Once this happens, your body starts burning fat for energy instead of glucose or carbohydrates. It also turns fat into ketones in the liver, which can supply energy for the brain among other health benefits.
And though in recent years, the keto diet has become the star of the show, it’s been around for quite some time (remember the Atkin’s diet?) and was the special favorite of doctors looking to regulate or eliminate type 2 diabetes or metabolic syndrome and epilepsy.
Why People Are Crazy About Keto
Simple: Keto is popular because it works. It’s been proven both in research studies and in the results of millions of people that it works in several different, but very impactful ways.
1. Keto can help you lose weight and keep it off
- You can turn your body into a lean, mean, fat-burning machine; which is obviously very beneficial to weight loss. Fat burning significantly increases, while insulin levels, a hormone that helps to store fat, drops greatly. All without starving yourself or having hunger pains!
2. Keto can help reverse diabetes and prediabetes in some cases
- There have been many studies that prove that a ketogenic diet lowers blood-sugar levels which, in turn, reduces the need for medications and can help regulate the main cause of diabetes; sometimes even to the point of reversal. “Reversal” here means significantly reduce symptoms to the point of appeared remission.
3. Keto can benefit standing health conditions
- The ketogenic diet actually originated as a way to help treat neurological diseases such as epilepsy and traumatic brain injuries. Though in modern times, we’ve found greater usage for the diet protocol, keto is still prescribed to people with varying conditions such as heart disease, PCOS, Alzheimer’s, and even certian cancers.
Is Keto Worth It In 2022?
The short answer is this: if you think keto will fit your lifestyle and you’ve cleared it with your doctor then you should go for it.
There’s no better time than the present to get in the kitchen (or subscribe to a meal delivery service like The Good Kitchen!) and focus on bettering your health by eating right and losing weight. Ketogenic products are widely available and even more affordable than ever in your local grocery stores and online at places like Amazon.com.
By nature, the ketogenic diet is a bit more restrictive than your normal eating regimen. It’s important to consult your doctor or a dietician before diving into all things keto. But if it’s something you believe you can stick to and will enjoy, then don’t wait.
Fad diets will come and go, as will the people and products that serve them--but good health is something that sustains. The ketogenic diet is well researched, amply documented, and easy to get started. As long as you stick to true, properly-referenced information, then you can make the keto diet work for you and your health goals.
So what are you waiting for? Jumpstart your keto journey with one of our meals! You can check them out here.
Written By: Carter Lewis
Picking a meal delivery service is challenging with so many br...
Not all meal delivery kits are equal. Learn how to identify th...