Grilled Butternut Squash with Almond Satay Sauce Recipe
This grilled butternut dish is an awesome vegetarian appetizer. Or, for the omnivores among us, it‚Äôs a perfect side to your favorite grilled protein.
This grilled butternut dish is an awesome vegetarian appetizer. Or, for the omnivores among us, it’s a perfect side to your favorite grilled protein. Most importantly, this recipe is quick, easy, and delicious.
The flavor of this grilled butternut squash is amazing. We sampled it around our kitchen and got nothing but smiles and thumbs up (you can’t speak when you’re chewing, after all).
The “trick” to this recipe is keeping the squash sliced thin — it makes it very tender. Use a fork or your hands to eat this one, but make sure to use plenty of the satay sauce no matter what.
Recipe Notes: Serves 4. Paleo-, vegetarian-, and pegan-friendly. Serve as a side dish, appetizer, or main.
Prep Time: 20 min / Cook Time: 20 min / Total Time: 40 min
GRILLED BUTTERNUT SQUASH WITH ALMOND SATAY SAUCE
- 1 large butternut squash peeled and cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp coconut nectar optiona
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp curry paste
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1 pinch cayenne optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped cilantro and almonds for garnish
- Heat a small saucepan on medium high and also preheat grill to medium high.
- Melt coconut oil in saucepan and brush squash with half of the oil. Then, season the squash with salt and pepper, and set it aside.
- Add garlic, ginger, and curry paste to the remaining oil in the pan and cook until fragrant. About 3 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, coconut aminos, coconut nectar (optional), and cayenne (optional) and bring to a simmer.
- Combine the hot mixture and almond butter in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Place mixture back in saucepan on very low heat.
- Now, grill your squash for about 5 minutes per side, forming char or until tender.
- Serve squash with the almond satay sauce spooned over the top. Garnish with chopped cilantro and almonds if you like.