Sautéed Shrimp with Fennel, Spinach, and Leek
On a bed of delicious and nutritious vegetables, this quick and easy shrimp has no chance to be anything other than absolutely amazing.
Any recipe that starts with bacon can’t be bad. I mean, right? Well, that’s where we begin with this weeknight shrimp recipe. Then, we toss it with olive oil and fennel for a really nice (and not-so-typical) flavor and texture.
On a bed of fennel, spinach, and leeks, this weeknight shrimp dish has no chance to be anything other than absolutely amazing. The shrimp could exist without the bed of veggies. Likewise, the veggies would be delicious on their own. But putting it all together is where the magic really happens.
Pro Tip: keep this recipe under thirty minutes by purchasing your shrimp already peeled and deveined. You should be able to find this at your local market or store.
Recipe Notes: Serves 4. Paleo-, vegetarian-, and pegan-friendly. Serve as a side dish, appetizer, or main.
Prep Time: 15 min / Cook Time: 15 min / Total Time: 30 min
GRILLED TANDOORI CHICKEN THIGHS
- 1.5 pounds shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1/2 pound fennel bulb julienned
- 1/2 pound leek (white part only) julienned
- 1/2 pound baby spinach
- 3 slices bacon diced
- 1 tbsp garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 tsp fennel seed toasted and ground
- Fennel fronds for garnish
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit and heat a large saute pan on medium-high.
- Add bacon to pan. Cook until crisp and fat is rendered.
- Remove bacon with a slotted spoon, leaving fat in pan.
- Continue with pan on medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant. About 1 minute.
- Add fennel and leek. Cook, stirring often, until tender and starting to take on color. About 7-10 minutes.
- Add spinach and fold in until wilted.
- Turn heat down to low and stir in butter, lemon juice, and bacon. Keep on low heat until ready to serve.
- Toss shrimp in olive oil and fennel seed. Arrange on a baking sheet.
- Roast shrimp at 500 degrees until cooked through. About 5 minutes.
- Serve shrimp over vegetable mixture and garnish with fennel fronds.