Sweet & Sour Sauce
TGK Mother Sauces: Sweet & Sour
What are Mother Sauces?
"Mother Sauces" is a culinary term based on 5 classical French Base Sauces, to which most other sauces are derived. Here at The Good Kitchen we have created 5 of our own.
"The five French mother sauces are béchamel, velouté, espagnole, hollandaise, and tomato."
Developed in the 19th century by French chef Auguste Escoffier, mother sauces serve as a starting point for a variety of delicious sauces used to complement countless dishes, including veggies, fish, meat, casseroles, and pastas."
Sweet and sour sauce is typically thought of as an Asian style of sauce or cooking method. We do it quite differently. Sweet & Sour is TGK’s most versatile sauce. Instead of sugar, we sweeten this sauce with coconut sugar.
- Add this (hot or cold) to rice, noodles, vegetables, stews, wings, chicken salad
- Add chili paste and herbs for a great flavor for your poke bowl
- Add your favorite hot sauce for that spicy sweet and sour wing sauce, shrimp or tuna poke bowl
- Add citrus or yuzu and use on raw or cooked seafood, chicken or pork dishes for a zesty flavor
- Add some jerk seasoning and added mango or pineapple chunks for a Caribbean flare to any dish
- Use as is for a soy free chicken and cashew stir fry, or dipping sauce
- Change the herbs with the seasons or your gardens bounty
Sweet & Sour Sauce
Yields 8 oz
- 1 1/4 tbsp Sesame Oil
- 2 tsp Ginger, fresh and chopped
- 2 tsp Garlic clove, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup Apple cider vinegar
- 1.5 tbsp Rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup Coconut crystals
- 1/2 cup Mango, diced
- 1.5 tbsp Rice wine, Mirin
- 1.5 tbsp Coconut aminos, organic
- 3 tbsp Jalapeno pepper, destemmed and chopped
- 1 tbsp Arrowroot
- 3 tbsp Water
- 2 oz Tamarind
- 1/3 cup Pineapple juice
- 1/4 tsp Gochugaru pepper
- Mix the arrowroot and water, set aside
- Combine all ingredients, coconut crystal, coconut aminos, mango and chili sauce. Stir dissolve crystals
- Combine ginger, garlic and jalapeno
- Heat sesame oil in a skillet and when hot but not smoking add ginger mixture. Cook 1 minute
- Add liquid and bring to a soft boil.
- Add arrowroot and water mixture while whisking
- Cook 5 minutes
- Cool slightly and blend to chop mango
- Cool and store refrigerated for 3 weeks